Spring is officially here, and for many of us, that means turning our thoughts to an annual deep clean. While it may take several days of solid effort and elbow grease, the results are seriously satisfying, resulting in a clean, organised and happy home.
Although a total overhaul of your home can seem overwhelming at first, a systematic approach will ensure you can give your home the thorough clean it deserves without running yourself into the ground in the process.
Check out our top tips for breezing through your spring clean:
1. Go round your home room by room and make a list of everything that needs to be done – breaking it down like this will make it seem less daunting and help you find a starting point.
2. Go through your list and determine what cleaning products you will need for each task. Don’t forget that household items such as baking soda, lemon juice, vinegar and even simple tap water often do the trick, and can be better for your home than heavy duty cleaning products full of chemicals. You can also make good use of old rags instead of purchasing brand new dusters and cloths.
3. Depending on your day to day routine, you can decide the best way to approach your list. You might want to tackle all of your tasks over a couple of days, or it might be easier to do one or two jobs a day over a few weeks.
4. Clear out as you go – clutter makes homes feel messier, uses up valuable storage space, and gathers more dust. Getting rid of things you don’t need will make your home neater and also make future cleaning easier and less time-consuming.
5. Don’t forget to work from top to bottom. Start with rooms on upper floors, as you will bring dirt and dust back downstairs with you, and always clean higher surfaces first, and floors last.
6. The warmer weather is a great opportunity to get all the textiles in your home aired. Give bedding, curtains and sofa and cushion covers a wash in accordance with the care instructions and hang them outside to dry.
7. Washing your windows can make a surprisingly big difference to a room, making it feel lighter and brighter. Don’t forget to give the frames and ledges a dust down first, before washing away winter grime with warm soapy water. Once the windows are dry, buff with some old newspaper for extra sparkle!
8. Spring cleaning is a great time to tackle all the hidden dust in your home – move large items of furniture into the centre of the room to clean behind and beneath their usual spots, empty kitchen cupboards and bookcases and wipe them down, dust off lighting fixtures and finish by organising the cleaning cupboard itself to help you keep on top of housework.
9. Throughout the year, walls and skirting boards can become grubby with fingerprints and shoe scuffs, especially in busy areas of the home. Giving these a quick wipe down with some warm soapy water is a simple way to give your room a noticeable lift.
10. After months of accumulating dirt, carpets and rugs can look particularly worse for wear. If your carpets are in need of some TLC, consider hiring a carpet cleaner to lift out old stains and leave them looking bright and refreshed. Keep them spotless by encouraging family and guests to remove their shoes at the front door.