House-hunters frequently cite ample storage space as a key priority when looking for their ideal home, and lack of storage can be a real deal-breaker.
Even when it fits the bill in other areas, if a property doesn’t meet your storage needs then it can be very difficult to envisage yourself living comfortably in it.
Whether you’re looking to improve the storage situation in your current home or sizing up the capacity of a potential one, here are our top tips for maximising storage space:
- One of the best ways to add storage without sacrificing floor space is to incorporate wall mounted storage – shelves for books and paperwork, hooks for coats and towels, and even rails in the kitchen for hanging pots and utensils can all free up valuable cupboard space.
- Look for furniture with built in storage – coffee tables with drawers, hollow benches and beds with base storage all provide additional space to stow away your bits and pieces.
- If you’re tight on wardrobe space, rotate your clothing seasonally. Keep your heavy coats and jumpers in vacuum storage bags during the summer months, and swap them with your summer clothing as winter approaches.
- Buying some pretty storage boxes and baskets to go with your décor is an inexpensive way to increase storage whilst adding some colour to a room.
- Don’t forget to ask about the loft space in any home you are viewing – ask about the accessibility and condition, and look into making any necessary improvements required to take full advantage of roof space.
- Ensure you are fully utilising vertical space – a tall bookcase or shelving unit and large storage boxes on top of a wardrobe are great ways to add storage whilst using minimal floor space.
- Never underestimate the impact of a clear-out – if you haven’t used it for a year or two then you probably don’t need it. Fewer belongings means more space and less tidying, organising and dusting!
- If you have a spare room, don’t waste it by filling it with clutter. Invest in some storage most suited to your needs for the room and which hides things away if possible. Adding a pull out day bed or sofa bed with built-in storage will mean you can still have guests to stay from time to time, whilst making the most of the space year-round.
- Consider converting alcoves into built in wardrobes – this is the most effective way of adding storage as you can customise the interior to utilise as much space as possible.
- Don’t forget about outdoor storage – if you have tools, bikes and other equipment, a shed is a worthwhile investment and can be purchased from most DIY stores for a reasonable price.